Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tasting - Thacher Viognier




Name: Thacher Viognier

Variety: Viogneir

Country: USA

Region: California - Paso Robles

Year: 2010

Price: $26

Description: 100% Viognier from Hastings Ranch Vineyard, 260 cases.

Light gold. Honey and sweet butter complement aromas of ripe pear and apple, with a subtle quinine note in the background. Chewy, fleshy and dry pear skin and anise flavors show a slight warmth. Finishes smooth and ripe, with good cling and breadth. This is drinking well right now. 

My Review: Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this wine. I was excited about it going in because the other wines I had up until this point were pretty decent but this one just dropped the ball.  Really bitter and just not very good. Maybe I just don't like the taste of the Viognier style because Thacher's other wines were all at least decent.  I am going to have to try another Viognier to find out because I don't want to write off an entire varietal on one tasting. At $10 I would not have bought this wine so at $26 it was definitely a pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment