Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tasting - Thacher Syrah





Name: Thacher Syrah

Variety: Syrah

Country: USA

Region: California - Monterey

Year: 2007

Price: $32

Description: 100% Syrah from Coast View Vineyard, bottled August 2009.
This is a wine generous in body, intense and chewy tannins. Flavors of unsweetened dark chocolate, cherry cola, violets, spicy oak and toast. This wine is ready to drink in 2011 will easily hold for 5 years before its heavy color, rich flavors and substantial tannins wane. This is a wonderful wine. 2011 Best of Class, Central Coast Wine Competition.

My Review: Also at The Wine Cabinet, I thought this wine was just sort of ok. Nothing too special but not bad either. Worth $32 to me? Probably not. I am usually a fan of red wines but this was pretty bitter and that covered up much of the taste. I've just had better Syrahs before.  With that said and to note the difference between people's tastes when it comes to wine, my Mom, who I took with me to the tasting because it was her birthday, enjoyed this wine quite a lot and actually bought a bottle. So that just goes to show that it was not a bad wine but just wasn't quite what I look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment